Saturday, July 5, 2014

Classic, Versatile, Vegan Pancakes

I often mention how much I love pancakes. I also love color of these: purple pancakes!

This may relate to the fact that I loved purple so much as a kid I had a pink and purple themed birthday party. I wouldn't know how to plan such an event: props, mom. These may have been a good breakfast to start such a magnificent purple birthday. 

And I admit...they don't turn out too purple after cooking..more that perfect golden brown. I'm also gonna admit that the purple is really just a side effect of the blueberries I mixed in..but the batter is still fun! No judgement....

Ok, here's how it goes: 

           Serves: 2-3 people
           Total time: 10-15 minutes

Ingredients: 
  • SO MANY BLUEBERRIES. Frozen btw...to get the purple color. Just add as much as you desire. 
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup flour 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar (reacts with the above soda to make it extra fluffy!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup vanilla milk of some kind. I always prefer soy.
  • Oil or vegan butter for cooking/ topping

How-to: 
  • First, smash the nanner. You should know this by now. 
  • Mix together almost all of the remaining ingredients. Leave out the blueberries till the end. Because I said so, that's why.
  • Add blueberries. BANG:

I mean really, just look at the mesmerizing marbling of those berries! Mmm.

  • Add vegan butter or vegetable oil to a pan, heat to medium or medium-low heat. 
  • Scoop batter onto pan into desired size. 
  • You know how to cook pancakes! Do it! Wait to flip until you see a lot of bubbles. Trust yourself here. Try try try not to smoosh the cake down with your spatula. They turn out fluffier this way. 
  • Ok. Done. Congratulations on the hard work! Top with more butter and more blueberries and eat sooo many! No need to share. I understand. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment